Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Maine Minutiae : Jackman (Dang! Is This Place Beautiful!)

I was sitting here gathering information for this post and came across the photo to the left. I said to her, "Damn Maine is a purty place." There's so much I haven't seen in the four years I've been here, but since I am in the "process of retiring", I figure I might have a little time on my hands. Debuting in the Top 5 Places in Maine I Gotta Go Decimate the Fish Population is Jackman. I mean look at that picture! Does it not just scream, "Please come decimate my fish population!"? I have only been ice fishing once and that was in Colorado. In a few months, I'll double (and more!) that number in Jackman. Visitmaine.com (where you can order a free travel guide) tells us this : "Jackman is situated along the Old Canada Road Scenic Byway just before the U.S./Quebec border. This road is also known as the Arnold Trail because it traces Benedict Arnold’s route into Quebec during the American Revolution. The Attean View Rest Area, just south of Jackman, is a great place to stop for a picnic. From this vantage point, you have a clear view of Attean Lake and the network of ponds connected by the Moose River, with the western mountains as the backdrop." Fishin' not your cup of tea? How 'bout the exhilaration of white water rafting on the Kennebec, Penobscot or Dead River? Perhaps you'd like to experience Jackman in the winter time. You won't get cabin fever as you can still enjoy the wilderness of northwest Maine by snowshoeing, snowmobiling or even behind a team of sled dogs. Texas is home, make no mistake about it, but I can easily think of a lot worse places to be than The Pine Tree State. You know, this place is growing me. And I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker