- She Thinks I Still Care - C-O-U-N-T-R-Y!!!
- Still Doin' Time - In a Honky Tonk Prison. This one's in my personal Possum Top 3. Frakkin' awesome!
- If Drinkin' Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will) - The hurtin' song to end all hurtin' songs. Incredible.
- The Grand Tour - Step right up, come on in...
- Choices - Just because I like it.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
He Stopped Loving Her Today. Please take about four minutes of your time to listen to that performance. In my lifetime and during a fifteen year radio career, I have NEVER heard someone sing a song with such power, emotion and the feel of experiencing the song as it's being sung. Pretty much everybody who has listened to Country Music for any length of time, knows about the personal demons in George Jones' life - alcohol, drugs, so on and so forth. Jones finally beat those demons, thanks to his fourth wife Nancy. One quick story, then on to his music. During his marriage to Tammy Wynette when he was a booze hound, Tammy took the car keys away from George so he couldn't go to the liquor store. But, the Possum is a crafty creature and can find ways to do things that others can not. The solution to Jones' dilemma? The riding lawnmower! Liquor store here I come! Jones was nothing if not an inventive drunk on this occasion. There's a hell of a lot more I could write about George Jones' life, but I'll leave that to Wikipedia. I want to delve into his music.