Thursday, July 8, 2010

Texas Tidbits : Marfa


The first time I heard of Marfa,  located in the Chihuahuan Desert in Far West Texas, was from WBAP-TV (Ch.5) Weatherman Harold Taft when I was a little boy of no more than four. It seemed like every night during the 10 o'clock news, good ol' Harold always mentioned Marfa as the hottest/coldest spot in Texas for that day/previous night. I know a mess of my old friends in the Metroplex are saying to themselves right now, "I remember that!" After I grew up and moved away form DFW, I learned of the Mysterious Marfa Lights.  Where do these lights come from? Ask any of the 2400 folks who call Marfa home and you'll probably get 2400 different answers. The stunning scenery of the Trans-Pecos area attracts thousands of  visitors and scientists every year to view the lights. Neighboring Big Bend National Park only adds to the remoteness and mystery of the Trans-Pecos region. The natural beauty of the Marfa area was the setting for one of the most famous movies ever - Giant, starring James Dean (his last movie), Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor and Dennis Hopper. Marfa has an interesting history  as well. I am sad to say that the Trans-Pecos is the one part of Texas I have never been, but you can bet the farm I'll be taking the wife and kids there when we visit Texas. See the sign in the pic above? We'll explore all those places as well (my maternal grandmother grew up in Alpine). I'll go out into the desert and simply let my imagination run wild about Panch Villa roaming the area early in the 20th century (Villa and his men "visited" my Grandmother's house when she was a child), John Wayne movies and the Marfa Lights. Now that's a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker