Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Texas Tidbits: Daydreaming and Talking to God

Today is a day to which I look forward every year. Today is Texas Independence Day!!! I have grown to appreciate this magnificent date so much more as I have gotten older. I think that's because I have lived away from Texas for for about half of the last twenty-five years. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, maybe? Whatever the reason, I have an appreciation of my home state that has grown stronger over that time. I haven't been home in about six and a half years, so I look forward to when I can pack up my family and head home for a major road trip/learning experience. My little girls (4 & 8) will get to see and learn about their Daddy's heritage and what a special place Texas is and why I brag about Her so often.

When my Mom first moved to Colorado in 1986 (I think), I found a small jar and filled it up with dirt from Texas. I made a label for it and called it "A Little Hunk of Home". She still has that damn thing. In November 2004, when I last lived in Texas, I did the same thing for myself. Jar meet Texas dirt. I still have it. One small touch of that Sacred Soil and I can daydream of Texas. Daydreams of fishin' the creeks and ponds of East Texas. Walking off a few miles into the woods, seeing Texas at her most beautiful and having a good heart-to-heart talk with God. My talks with God always went the same way. He listened patiently to a flawed man seeking redemption through His everlasting Grace. He listened to a man who was humbled in His presence, like a son to his Father. He listened to man who has had a "colorful" life, thankful for the hard times as much as the good. The hard times always produced a teachable moment or two, the good times, not so much. God always had the time to listen and He always had the mercy to forgive me of my sins. Then God would listen to some of my fishin' stories and I'd have to make another date with Him for another talk. After all, a fisherman wouldn't stretch the truth, would he? :) Fish.Fear.Me. And.God.Loves.Me. What.A.Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker