Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Texas Tidbits: The Lamb

I spend a considerable amount of time using "bing" or "Google" to find material for this blog and my two others, Dumbass News and Because Toby Said So. I go through probably 25 stories every time I search for blog material before I find the one I feel is a good one for the Topic of the Day. Today, I went through two. One was a story I had previously posted. The second one is the kind of story, an allegory really, that is a perfect fit for our Christmas Season posts. It is from December 22, 1999 and was written by an El Paso lawyer named Ron Jackson who is/was a Deacon at the First Baptist Church of El Paso.

Mr. Jackson's story begins thusly......."A blizzard raked the Texas Panhandle with sleet that Christmas morning.
___My brother brought news of a new-born lamb frozen in the sheep pen. All of the ewes were lambing, with one in terrible distress, unable to complete delivery. We herded the sheep into the barn. The heat from their bodies and a small gas furnace raised the temperature, but the sheep still were in danger. The lambs were arriving more than two months too early. We were not prepared. The young ewes were not ready--they were lambbarely able to bear their lambs".......

Read the rest of this beautiful story here.

I have always liked the reference to Jesus as the Lamb of God. It's such a simple, yet powerful metaphor for the sacrifice Jesus made for you, me and every other person who has lived during the past 2000 years. It is through the sacrifice of the Lamb, the Son of Man, that we may achieve eternal life and give Glory to the Lord, God.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker