Sunday, December 5, 2010

Maine Minutiae: Hop Aboard the Candy Cane Train!

All Aboard the Candy Cane Train!
I am a lucky man. I have been fortunate enough to have seen this country from North to South and East to West by plane, car, bus, U-Haul and many miles by foot. But there's one way that I have not explored the United States. By train. Ever since I was a little boy, I have always wanted to ride on a train. Like Merle Haggard sang, "The first thing I remember knowin' is a lonesome whistle blowin' and a youngun's dream of growin' up to ride, On a freight train leavin' town, not knowin' where it's bound.." True poetry. The first time I heard that song, I was probably about 10 years old. It has stuck with me ever since. That's why I took an extra good look at what I am about to share with you.

Next weekend, December 11 & 12, The Candy Cane Train in Bath, Maine makes it yearly holiday run with all kinds of fun on board. There are four trips scheduled for each day at 9am, 11am, 1pm and 3pm. The Candy Cane Train will leave Bath at the scheduled times for the ninety minute round trip to Wiscasset and back to Bath. During the trip, passengers will enjoy hot chocolate, meet Santa and his elves plus listen to storytellers and sing Christmas songs! I bet my kids' father would really like to take this ride. And they might like it, too.  :) 

Proceeds from the train rides will go to Literacy Volunteers and Read With Me Family Literacy. Not only will you and the family have a hoot riding the train with Santa, you'll be doing a great service to Maine literacy programs. After all, Christmas is all about giving isn't it?

Here's the Candy Cane Train web site where you can find all the pertinent information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker