Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Plus One : Special Funny Names Across America Edition

Breakfast City
A few weeks back I did a post on funny town names in Texas - names like Uncertain, Happy and Cut and Shoot. The reaction from you, the reader, was outstanding. Since I pledged in that article to do another version of funny town names in various states, I figured I'd go whole hog and find goofy town names from around the country. I Hope (Arkansas) you'll find this little screed not too Boring (Oregon) and I'll be a Happy Camp(er) (California). :)
Some towns have names that are quite inviting. There's Friendly, West Virginia - Happyland, Connecticut or Lovely, Kentucky. On the other hand, there's Embarrass, Wisconsin - Gripe, Arizona and Peculiar, Missouri. Many towns have names that conjure up an appetite - Bacon, Indiana - Chocolate Bayou, Texas or Hot Coffee, Mississippi. Places you may not care to have a meal are : Greasy, Oklahoma - Lickskillet, Ohio and Oniontown, Pennsylvania. Animals and some of God's other creatures are well-represented on the list of odd names found in the USA - Rabbit Shuffle, North Carolina - Horseheads, New York and Trout, Louisiana are a few of them. Some of our burgs around the country stand out for other reasons - Toad Suck, Arkansas - Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky and Goose Pimple Junction, Virginia come to mind. There are plenty more towns with attention-getting names across the country and you can find them where I did at infoplease.com. I'm sure there are a million names that could be added to this list, so if you know any, tell us about them in the comments! With that, I'll say Adios! (Texas) I just made that one up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker