Thursday, August 5, 2010

Texas Tidbits : Natural Bridge Caverns

How in the name of all that is holy during all my travels in Texas, did I not once take time to stop off and visit Natural Bridge Caverns? I plead the ignorance of youth. And "hurry up and get to Austin". But mostly the ignorance of youth. If only I had known. But, then again, if a frog had wings every time he jumped, he wouldn't whomp his ass. But, I digress. Even the underground world of Texas is stunningly beautiful. What's a bit surprising is that the caverns weren't discovered , quite unexpectedly, until 1960 by four St. Mary's U students out for their weekly spelunking trip. Reckon they were a little surprised at what they found? The temperature in the caverns is a mild 70 degrees year round and portions of this subterranean wonder are over 200 feet below ground. Recent archeological digs indicate that early Texans used the caves as a place to call home and that perhaps miles more of this underground Eden await exploration. Make a little time to read the information provided in the links above, if you can. It's some real good readin' and there are some outstanding photos as well. I can hardly wait to find out what the spelunkers of the future will discover about this place named Natural Bridge Caverns.

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago, Tommy and I took a trip to San Antonio just for a get away. We cut our last day there short by a few hours and went to the Natural Bridge Caverns. It is well worth the time you spend there. It is both amazing and awesome what you see below the surface of our great state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra...thanks for passing that along. Word of mouth is powerful testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I remember from a visit probably at least 20 years ago, although 70 degrees, it was quite humid. I most foolishly took 4 kids ranging in age from 3 - 7 or so (2 of my own, 2 friends). I think I have been scarred from the experience to even think going in a cave is a good thing every since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Anon! I feel ya on that. I hope the scars have faded with time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright ©

All Original Material © Toby Shoemaker